Are you in search of an efficient water heater? Electric tankless water heaters are one of the best choices for water heating in your home and for commercial purposes. These electric tankless heaters are easier to maintain and more energy-efficient as compared to other water heaters.
In case you don’t have time to go through the whole article, and just want to know what the best electric tankless water heater is, then our recommendation is the Stiebel Tempra 24 plus.
Factors to consider when choosing the best electric tankless water heater
The tankless water heaters require category III venting, which is different from the traditional systems. This venting category allows for efficient combustion.
Different electric tankless water heaters use different types of fuel. The choices of fuel are natural gas, propane, and electricity. It is essential since the fuel type will affect the energy efficiency and the working of the unit.
The service of the electric tankless water heater is a crucial factor to consider when choosing the product. This factor mostly depends on the nature of the components used to design the heater. The elements with better quality assure you of better service.
An electric tankless water heater isn’t a small investment, and the product must come with a warranty. In case the product malfunctions out of causes that are manufacturer related, you are assured of refunds or replacements.
When choosing an electric tankless water heater, you should be keen on the initial and operating costs of the water heater. Compare the price ranges and pick the best price during the initial purchase. The value should be inclusive of the installation service.
The weight of the water heater is essential since it will help you to determine where to place it. An electric tankless water heater that is light in weight is more preferred.
A Quick View of Our Rating
Our #1 rated – Stiebel Tempra 24 plus
Our #2 rated – Rheem 3 RTEX-24
Our #3 rated – iHeat AHS27-D
Our #4 rated – Ecosmart ECO 18
Our #5 rated – Bosch Tronic 6000 C
What are the advantages of an electric tankless water heater?
The advantages of electric tankless water heaters include:
- Replaceable parts: an electric tankless water heater has elements that can be removed, serviced, and replaced. It helps you with the amount of money you spend instead of buying a new tank.
- Durability: these tanks, designed with copper and steel elements, have a long service life. This factor sets you at ease with the service life expectancy being 20 years.
- Costs: the electric water heater also helps in saving and cutting down on costs. Even though the initial cost of purchase and installation is high, it enables you to decrease or eliminate expenses that would otherwise go high.
- Saves energy: the tankless water heaters do not have a standby heat loss, which is the loss experienced in keeping water within a tank hot. The tankless water heaters allow you to heat the water you want on a need basis.
- Endless supply of hot water: a tankless water heater lets you conveniently have water that is continually running if you sized it correctly. It means that whenever you need hot water, you will always get it.
- Requires less space: most of the tankless water heaters are small and compact, which means they do not need so much space for installation. They can conveniently be installed under sinks or mounted on walls.
- Freshwater: the tankless water heater ensures that the water you are consistently using is not idly sitting inside a tank. Such water would be polluted by minerals or contain elements of rust, especially if it has no proper maintenance.
Attributes differentiating electric tankless water heaters
The tankless water heaters come in different sizes depending on your need. Most of them have a compact design that can conveniently fit in small spaces. These sizes may differentiate the products.
The electric tankless water heaters have different types of ignition systems. The more complex ignition systems usually cost more. These ignition systems are direct ignition, standing pilot light, and hydropower ignition.
Tips to use an electric tankless water heater
The best way to use the electric tankless water heater is to ensure that the heater is well-installed first. Once you do this, the heaters have settings that can be tuned to meet the requirements of the user. Ensure that you do not exceed the optimal working conditions of the heater as prescribed by the manufacturer.
You should also make sure you do not open the water heater to conduct any sort of checks or repairs if you are not certified to do so. Always use water that is clean and free from harsh minerals, which may affect the heater as well.
Precautions when using electric tankless water heaters
You need to seek local professional services during the installation process of the tankless water heater. There are safety precautions and building codes that need adherence to during this process. You should also remember that in most of the cases the manufacturer will only give you a warranty if the installation is done by a professional.
The manufacturers provide safety guidelines on how to use the product in the instruction manuals. Take time to go through this manual to understand its operation and safety procedures.
What is the best electric tankless water heater?
This tankless water heater comes with a sleek design that is compact and can be able to fit almost anywhere. The heater has a thermal cut-out switch, which serves as a safety feature. This switch helps in protecting the heater elements from getting damaged, especially those that result from dry-firing.
It has a 97% efficiency rating and has about 27 kilowatts (kW) in power capacity.
It also has a flow sensor built-in with polymer encased elements, which ensure that the output temperature is constant. It has a heat exchanger made from materials that protect it from damage and comes in a sturdy metal sheet.
This water heater can deliver 12.5 liters of water every minute, which is quite commendable, mainly when serving multiple areas.
- Option of mounting it on a wall.
- Consistent temperature output
- Heats water very fast
- Commercial and residential purposes.
- High-temperature ranges of between 95 and 131F
- Circuit protection is not very effective
- Activation flow higher than in other units
- High costs for repairs and servicing
This model has materials that ensure durability in product use with high levels of efficiency and reliability. It weighs around 16 lbs. and comes with a power rating of 240 volts and 27 kW. It has the capacity to deliver water to three bathrooms, while water inlet temperatures are above 54F.
It is simple to use and operate coming with an efficiency rating of 99%. This water heater is small and compact, allowing you to save space when doing the installation.
It guarantees you the ability to save as much as 25% on your bills as an illustration of its effectiveness. It can also be used for both commercial and residential purposes and is appropriate for institutions such as hospitals and schools.
The water heater also comes with a digital display that allows you to check on the temperatures and customize the settings to your preference.
- Small and compact design
- Easy installation process
- Highly durable and reliable
- Digital display
- Settings customization
- Easy to run diagnostics with the heat software
- Needs proper ventilation
- A bit costly
This water heater is a top-rated electric heater due to its features. It has digital display screens to ensure that you can have accurate temperatures and energy efficiency.
The heater comes in a design that is small, sleek, and compact, making it very convenient to use and handle. It is also has a technology that is eco-friendly to ensure energy conservation.
For ease of operation, this model comes with preset memory buttons for the temperature. It also has an electronic flow sensor, which helps you switch on the heater’s heating system. The water heater can automatically maintain the water temperature flowing through it for constant comfort and elimination of hot water flow.
This unit has an extremely high flow rate of 4.68 gallons every minute and advanced control over the water temperature and flow.
- Beautiful sleek design
- Maintains steady temperatures
- Efficient in households
- Auto modulation feature
- Digital temperature displays
- Small size and compact
- High water flow
- Rather costly
- Not easy installation
This water heater has a compact design that allows its installation in spaces below counters and sinks. It also has an LED display screen that will enable you to view the temperatures set for the water heating correctly.
The heater has a temperature knob that conveniently allows you to change settings of the water temperatures.
The water heater model provides consistent water supply giving you increased effectiveness and efficiency. It consumes very low electricity with an estimated 150 amp required for its operation. This factor ensures that you can save on electric bills.
For your protection, this water heater has an electromechanical thermostat switch to provide high-temperature protection.
- Its design saves on space
- Consistent water flow
- Easy to install
- Minimal electric consumption
- High-limited temperature protection
- Copper and stainless components
- High cost
- Installation needs to purchase additional parts
- Low quality in some assembled products
This unit comes with an external thermostatic control, digitized for ease of customization. This water heater is highly durable due to its components, designed with copper immersion three.
It also has one of the most advanced self-modulation mechanisms that allow you to adjust your power to customize options of hot water.
It weighs about 18 lbs. and is relatively easy to install. Its weight allows you to mount it on the wall conveniently. With a 99.8% energy efficiency rating, this heater helps you conserve energy and save on the application costs. The presence of the self-modulating mechanism ensures that it only uses the recommended power to heat your water.
It has an electronic temperature control that is stylish and compact with an LED screen that helps you change the settings and units of measurement.
- Simple installation
- Digital display for temperature
- Highly durable
- 99.8% energy efficient rating
- Self-modulation technology
- Continuous water supply without disruptions
- Installation may need additional components
- Expenses during winter are high
The best electric tankless water heater in our opinion is the Stiebel Tempra 24 plus. This electric tankless water heater has an efficient design that is durable and has high energy conserving levels. It also has an extremely high flow rate.
The flexibility it provides for reducing temperatures and tuning them is highly beneficial to the users. This water heater also addresses any worries you may have regarding safety due to the presence of the electronic flow sensor.